ASK Principal's Page
A Message From Your Principal
WELCOME BACK, ASK!
It is a pleasure to welcome all of our amazing students, teachers and staff back to Anna S. Kuhl Elementary School for the 2023-2024 school year!
Many of our students are returning after a successful summer school program where they were able to work on their grade level skills, as well as showcase their talents in our enrichment program. Over 300 students participated between ASK and HBE so it was a great collaboration between both schools.
As we move into the new school year, here are a few areas that we will focus on, enhance, or implement:
- Wilson Fundations - this research-based literacy program is rooted in the science of reading to support our K-3 students using structured reading, spelling, and handwriting lessons in engaging and multisensory ways.
- Project Lead The Way - students will be immersed in hands-on activities, projects, and problems that build upon each other and relate to the real world. This integrated learning blends computer science, engineering, biomedical science, as well as other areas, to help students apply their math, ELA, and science skills, plus adopt skills that are foundational across disciplines.
- Unified Insights - this will be used in conjunction with SchoolTool as our data dashboard. We will be able to import and track student data to better inform our instruction.
- Grades 3-5 Science Investigations - students will experience lab-style, performance-based tasks that are a component of NY State’s strategy for assessing science in 5th grade.
- 5th Grade Science Exam - this will replace the 4th grade science performance and written tests that were given in years past and will be the new standardized state test.
- 6th Grade Hybrid Schedule - our 6th grade students will follow a modified secondary-style schedule to prepare them for their move to PJMS. Teachers will focus on one academic area and the students will rotate through each day. Class periods will be approximately 45 minutes, similar to the MS, all while blending this into the regular ASK daily schedule.
We look forward to another great year at ASK!