Board of Education
NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
BOARD OF EDUCATION
The Board of Education will hold a Special Meeting on TUESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2023 at 4:30pm at the District Ofﬁce.
The purpose of this meeting is to approve several items relating to the beginning of the school year that we did not want to delay until the next regular Board of Education Meeting on September 19, 2023.
There will be a link on our website to view this meeting.
Reminder: The next Meeting of the Board of Education will be held Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 7 00 pm in the High School Cafeteria.
The Port Jervis City School District, in partnership with our community, has an uncompromising commitment to measurably improve student achievement and prepare students to be productive and responsible life-long learners, ready to meet the challenges of citizenship in our ever-changing global society.
Board of Education Responsibilities
The Board of Education is made up of nine unsalaried citizens elected to serve three-year terms. The board’s powers and duties are derived from the New York State Constitution, the laws of New York State and the rulings of the New York State Commissioner of Education. The Board of Education’s main areas of responsibility are:
- Establish district policies
- Develop an annual budget for public approval
- Vote on the Superintendent’s recommendations on personnel matters and contracts
- Review courses of study and textbooks
- Act as a communication link between residents and the District
No person or group of people acts in the name of the board. All motions require a majority vote before the Board can act. A Board Member is in an official capacity only during an official Board meeting. The Board employs a Superintendent who is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the district and administration of Board policies. We are very appreciative of the members of the community who volunteer their time to serve in this capacity.
All Board meetings are open to the public. Port Jervis residents are encouraged to attend the regular meetings, which start at 7:00 PM.
2023-2024 Board Meeting Schedule
The 2023-2024 Board meeting schedule is listed below. Agendas are added to the online schedule the Friday prior to the regularly-scheduled meetings.
- Wednesday, July 5: Reorganizational Meeting/Election of Board Officers
- Thursday, July 15: Special Board Meeting
- August 8: Board Meeting
- August 22: Board Meeting/Adoption of Tax Warrant
- August 29: Special Board Meeting
- September 19: Board Meeting
- October 17: Board Meeting
- November 14: Board Meeting
- December 12: Board Meeting - Change of Location: ASK Cafeteria
- January 9: Board Meeting/Rollover Budget Workshop/Elementary Building Principal’s Presentation
- February 13: Board Meeting/Budget Update/Secondary Building Principal’s Presentation
- March 12: Board Meeting - Budget Workshop will be held after the Meeting
- Thursday April 18: Tenure Reception/Board Meeting/BOCES Budget Vote/Board Adopts Proposed Budget for 2024-2025
- April 30: Public Budget Hearing/Board Meeting
- Wednesday May 22: Canvass of the Vote/Board Meeting
- June 18: Retiree Reception/Board Meeting
Meeting Agendas, Minutes, & Videos
Agendas are added to the online schedule the Friday prior to the regularly-scheduled meetings.
In accordance with the NYS Open Meetings Law, documents scheduled to be discussed at a Board meeting, such as proposed resolutions and policies, are available to the public. The documents are linked to the online agenda. Printed copies of the agenda are also available at the Board meetings. Minutes are posted within two weeks of the Board meeting.
Board Policy Manual
All policies adopted by the Board of Education are available online. The Board Policy Committee meets throughout the school year to review, revise, and adopt district policies and regulations, as needed. The Online Policy Manual is updated whenever a new or revised policy is approved by the Board.
There is a portion of time at each meeting when the Board welcomes public comment from our learning community, however, you must sign up to announce your desire to address the Board with the Board Clerk when you arrive at the meeting. Please see the following document for the parameters of acceptable Rules for Public Comment.